Choosing a Therapist
What is the difference between an intern and a professional therapist?
Professional therapists have graduated the program, acquired state certification as massage therapists through the Indiana Professional Licensing Agency (IPLA), and are practicing within the community. Due to their availability, advanced planning is necessary for scheduling.
Interns are in the process of finishing their educational experience while working within our Training Spa.
What is the difference between an intern and a student?
A student is still in the process of learning the various elements of each modality as it is taught, while an intern has already completed all coursework and required practice.
What Can I Expect At My First Visit?
- You will be asked to complete a client intake form giving disclosure of your health information and offering consent to receive massage. This information will allow the therapist to provide a session that is most beneficial to your well-being. All information is strictly confidential and HIPAA protected.
- We recommend using the restroom prior to the start of your session to avoid interruptions to your service.
- You will be asked questions about the type of service you prefer and offered an explanation of what to expect prior to the start of your session. Your therapist will custom design your session around your preferences. Your input is necessary throughout the session. Please keep your therapist informed of the level of pressure you prefer as well as making him/her aware of anything that causes discomfort. You have the right to cancel your session at any time should you feel uncomfortable with your treatment.
- You will be asked to undress to the level of your comfort. Keep in mind that your therapist will only undrape the area receiving work.
- Although you will have privacy while changing, please remember that this is a training environment. All treatment areas are semi-private to allow occasional viewing by an instructor.
For the relaxation and privacy of all of our guests, we ask that you speak “just above a whisper” during your visit to the spa. Please refrain from the use of cell phones inside the spa. Our therapists are here to focus on you and your needs.
To preserve the tranquility of all spa guests, infants and children are not permitted in the treatment areas unless they are receiving services.
Our goal is to ensure you receive the full benefit of your treatment. We recommend that you arrive 15 minutes prior to your appointment in order to prepare for your spa experience. This will allow you the opportunity to unwind prior to your service, complete any necessary forms, as well as allowing adequate time for consultation with your therapist regarding your session.
Delayed arrival will interfere with your appointment timing and reduce the integrity of your session.
Gratuities are appreciated, but not expected. The typical rate is 15-20% of the service price, but is left to the discretion of the guest. Our therapists may receive compensation via cash or check only, as our credit option currently does not allow for tipping.
Health Savings Accounts
Due to delayed billing and reimbursement policies for various insurance companies, payment is expected at the time of services. Harrison College Training Spa is happy to provide a receipt of payment to assist you in the process.